Friday, August 7, 2009

Power of words


So, a friend had this on her blog, and she got it from another friend... it's being passed around. But, I loved it so much I wanted to post it as well!

Words from the mind speak volumes. I know I sometimes judge people like I judge a book by it's cover, but once I get to know them I could care less where they've been or what job they have... or even who they know! I get so turned off by people who try to impress upon me how important they are because they work for "so and so". Or because they went to some university. Or because they could tie their shoe when they were two!

Words in general speak volumes... but so do our actions. How kind are you to the person who might be trying your patience? How do you respond to a child who's having a meltdown? How do you respond to someone who hurts your feelings? In my opinion, these words, and our actions that accompany them, speak more than anything we can accomplish temporaly in this world.... and we'll be remembered more for how we treat/speak to others than we will for whatever we end up doing. The quote above speaks to our knowledge and how interesting of a person we are to talk to, but I'd like to extend the idea of "words" to include our actions as well. As my mom always said: "You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?"

See mom, I really was listening some of the time!

No comments: