Thursday, August 26, 2010

Where have I been? Not in DC, that's for sure.
More posts on that to come... but I heard this song on the radio the week before I turned 30 and since turning 30 seems like it should be a "significant" life event, I thought I would do a blog about it because it got me thinking….

Turning 30 really hasn’t been too traumatic for me one way or the other. I have friends who were fearful, in a way, of turning 30 because it made them feel so old, and others who were so excited to finally leave their 20’s behind and embrace a new decade. For me… it’s kind of just been like just another year and I guess I’ve tried to think of it that way rather than having too many expectations or too few. I don't feel any different, but I guess I'd still like to claim being in my 20s. However, just taking life one day at a time and being grateful for the blessings I have rather than lamenting on what I’d like to have has been very helpful in remaining positive and hopeful for my next 30 years!

But, having goals for the future is always a good thing too. So, when I heard this song about the singer’s next 30 years, I thought about what I’d like for my next 30 years. (song lyrics in italics, mine in regular... and at the end is a link to the song!)

I think I’ll take a moment, celebrate my age...
The ending of an era, and the turning of a page...
Now it’s time to focus in on where I go from here...
Lord have mercy on my next thirty years...

(Oh yes – Celebrate I did!! For my 30th birthday I went with my mom to Seattle and then on a cruise to Alaska all week long! But, yes, HF, please have mercy on my next 30 years!)

Hey my next thirty years I’m gonna have some fun...

(Yes!! My next 30 years will definitely include more travel in my life, and more time acting like a child… not caring what others think of me and just having FUN!)

Try to forget about all the crazy things I’ve done...

(Why think about my past mistakes… look forward to my future!)

Maybe now I’ve conquered all my adolescent fears... And I’ll do it better in my next thirty years...

(One of my adolescent fears was what other people thought of me and really wanting them to like me (a.k.a… thinking I was cool!)… but with age and maturity I’m slowly realizing that it really doesn’t matter. All that matters is what I think of me and that I am doing the right thing so that the Lord is pleased with me too!)

My next thirty years I’m gonna settle all the scores...

(Fortunately, I don’t think I really have too many, if any, to settle!)

Cry a little less, laugh a little more...

(The day before my birthday I learned a powerful lesson. I was visiting my grandmother in her living center and her friend joined us for lunch. Her friend, Skipper, is FULL of life! She was singing, laughing like a silly school girl, and just really having a good time with herself (because my mom and I sure weren’t being comedians!) Well, during our conversation when we were trying to get to know her she said to my mom: “I don’t want to be here (the living center). Who does? But, what am I going to do? Walk around and be mopey and miserable? NO! I am going to make the best of it, enjoy life and be happy!” And, Skipper was true to her word. The entire time we were there, she was having more fun than any of us… because of her attitude! Laughter is the key to happiness in life. Here is a picture of Skipper…

Find a world of happiness without the hate and fear...

(I hope so…)

Figure out just what I’m doing here... In my next thirty years...

(Well, I don’t know if I will ever figure out what my purpose, or my role, is in life… but I do promise to try and figure it out!)

Oh my next thirty years, I’m gonna watch my weight...

(Yep – I enjoy being physically active… but it’s such a battle with food because I LOVE good food as well! However, I know there are some bad habits in my life that I can change and feel healthier doing so! Recently, I cut back significantly on drinking caffeinated soda… and it’s been incredible noticing a difference in the way my body feels. And now, I really don’t even like the taste of diet coke anymore! I haven’t cut caffeine out of my body completely… but definitely less of it!

Eat a few more salads and not stay up so late...

(The salad eating won’t be hard for me… but staying up late can be. However, I’ve noticed how much better my body feels when I keep to a sleep schedule and esp when I get up early and get going, I feel SOOO much better! If I stay up late, I feel like the next day my body just never really wakes up and I am dying for a nap by mid-afternoon!)

Drink a little lemonade and not so many beers... Maybe I’ll remember my next thirty years...
(Well, this has never really been a problem for me, I am happy to say) J

My next thirty years will be the best years of my life...

(YES!!!!!!!!!!)
Raise a little family and hang out with my wife...

(Let’s change that too husband… and YES!!!!! This is my deepest desire!!!)
Spend precious moments with the ones that I hold dear...

(YES!!!!!!!!)
Make up for lost time here, in my next thirty years...

(YES!!!!!!!!)
In my next thirty years...

(I know so much will happen in my next 30 years and I am looking forward to it!!


And finally, a link to the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imsm-jIjVio


No comments: