Monday, May 27, 2013

Spring in DC Part 1

 I love Spring! Just love it. Here are some of the reasons why:

 1. The flowers... esp the flowers at the Temple.
 Gorgeous
 It was such a beautiful night. 
I love how it's still light out at 7 or 8 pm!
 And, it was even better b/c I found out when I got there that 
a friend was going to propose to his girlfriend there later on 
that night. I even got to see the ring before she did!
I love to see the temple, but I love to go inside more!

2. Crossing off things on my DC bucket list. So much easier and more fun to do in Spring!
 Me and Theodore Roosevelt. I look like a midget!
 There were these large pillars with some of his inspiring quotes:
On YOUTH
"I want to see you game, boys, I want to see you brave and manly, and I also want to see you gentle and tender.  Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground.  Courage, hard work, self-mastery, and intelligent effort are all essential to successful life.  Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike."
 On Manhood:
A man's usefulness depends upon his living up to his ideals insofar as he can. It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. All daring and courage, all iron endurance of misfortune-make for a finer, nobler type of manhood.
Only those are fit to live who do not fear to die and none are fit to die who have shrunk from the joy of life and the duty of life.

It's a pretty island, small, but pretty. It's situated right in between VA and DC with a bridge connecting it to the VA side. Great views! And, a nice, quiet walk around the island. Peaceful. 
 This is looking at Georgetown
 This is Rosslyn
 Another weekend I needed to get out of town so I went to the Shenandoah Cheery Blossom Festival and parade. It was awesome and such a perfect little escape for a day trip. The weather was fantastic too!
 I had great seats for the parade and what's not to LOVE about a man in uniform?!
 I literally could have walked up and gotten his autograph. 
Closest I have ever been to an NFL player!
 And, of course, we bring out the Irish and Scottish heritage in the parade!

 The next weekend I got tickets to the Folger Shakespeare Research Library tour. This was pretty cool b/c they only do one tour a week for 15 people. And, I got to go in! I had never been to the Library before. It's filled to the brim with everything Shakeaspeare. But, the best part about this tour was getting to see documents and things from the 1600s and such! Awesome!
 Shakespeare above and a stained glass window 
of his Seven Stages of Man below
Slowly, but surely, crossing things off my DC bucket list!

No comments: