Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Be of Good Comfort, Thy Faith Hath Made Thee Whole

Lately, I've really been struggling with faith and optimism when things aren't looking so great in my limited view of life (or, my life).

I could never, ever, deny that the church, or the gospel of Jesus Christ is true. Never. I know it is. But, maintaining that peaceful gospel perspective and finding the JOY in today when illnesses, tragedy and unfulfilled righteous hopes/dreams are staring me in the face does not come easy to me.

This past Sunday a good friend suggested that I choose a scripture and memorize it as I study all about it during the week. I took that challenge and found 2. Almost have them memorized...

1. Luke 8:48: "And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace." That is the Savior talking to the woman he just healed. But, I love how he 1. Calls her Daughter; 2. Tells her to be of good comfort (what I seek most); 3. Tells her that her own faith healed her; 4. and to go in Peace (also something I desire). I want to have the faith that this woman does!

2. Doctrine & Covenants 98:1  "Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks". This is Joseph Smith writing to the Saints who are being sorely persecuted. Again, I love how 1. he calls them friends; 2. Tells them to fear not (something I wish I didn't have in my life either); 3. hearts be comforted (what I want!!) 4. to rejoice (have JOY... also what I want to have ALL the time in my life... to feel truly Joyful!) and 5. To Give Thanks (This is something I don't do nearly enough... even if I could just express gratitude for every negative thought.complaint would be a milestone for me!

It's so easy to get down and forget all the GOOD things and all the blessings I do have in my life! Tonight I was around someone who was totally down on her luck in life and almost every comment that came from her was negative. I found it getting me down and wanted to change the subject. But, afterwards I thought about this. And, how much of a difference and optimistic attitude makes on your own life as well as those you surround. And, I challenged myself to be purely optimistic... esp when interacting with someone else. I think it will help my own faith and gospel perspective, as well as those around me.

THEN, to top it off, I was browsing lds.org tonight and came across this video by Elder Nelson:

What a profound message. No doubt, I would not have been as calm as he was. But, I want to get to that point and not be the screaming young woman. 
Earlier this week I ran across this quote and found it also in this video:
"If you have a faith, you can handle difficulties. Knowing that with an eternal perspective all will be well... Remember who you are and know your purpose... Don't demand things that are unreasonable, but demand of yourself improvement...Through the gospel of Jesus Christ, you can find strength in these tumultuous times."
 I had already printed out that quote to paste on my fridge so I can see it every day. And, now I have a very nice "mormon message" video to go with it. 
Be of good comfort
Thy Faith Hath Made Thee Whole

 

No comments: