Monday, February 6, 2012

And the squirrel hat wins

I realized this past week I really have strong feelings against people who wear squirrel hats :) Not hats made out of squirrel fur, but hats with a fake squirrel literally sitting on top of it!

Fortunately in my life, I haven't come across too many who do:)

However, I do interact with one on a daily basis and I've let pride, rather than humility, get the best of me. 

Long story short, the kids I nanny for have to be picked up every day because there is no transportation. That's all fine and well. However, the carpool rules the school enforces tend to drive me NUTS! I personally think they have the most messed up system, but I have no say considering I am not shelling out a dime of the $20,000 tuition spent for each child. 

One of the silly policies is that if you park in one segment of the line, you have to display this sign with your last name.... EVEN THOUGH the teachers look for your face and not your name when looking to release a child. And, it's only in this one segment that you have to do this - or that it's enforced. 

Well, a few minutes before the kids are released, this one science teacher walks down the line with her silly squirrel hat on her head enforcing this rule. She'll pound on your window and look so annoyed that you forgot to put your sign out. She'll stand there and wait for you to put it out or to write your name on a piece of paper to put on your dash. She's just an unpleasant, unfriendly individual. And, the funny thing is, that she's the only teacher to enforce this rule! All the other teachers just walk on by. 

I must admit the squirrel lady rubs me the wrong way. I really don't like people who use their power in a negative way in order to make you feel like you're less of a person, or just inferior to them. She's a BULLY! 

So, recently, I am sad to admit that I've taken my own personal revolt against her. I've made her wait by my car window while I S-L-O-W-L-Y look for a piece of paper and pencil to write their last name on, or, I wrote it so small on this small scrap of paper in order to just annoy her. Terrible of me, I know! And, prideful! But, OH - it was so hard to be humble!

Well, evidently she went and complained to the head of the school that I was jeopardizing the safety of the children and that I was causing commotion and problems in the carpool line (I WAS NOT... just problems for her!)

And, so the head of the school called my boss and told him to "straighten me out"! Ha, ha. My boss took it all in stride and understood where I was coming from, but also asking me to just ignore her and follow the rules in order to keep the peace. Of course, I agreed, but I've been continuously praying for humility because it's not been easy. I can't even look her in the face because she'll just smile knowing that she's won! 

She and that stinkin' squirrel hat of hers!

2 comments:

josh, erica, nora, wells, evie and stella said...

That sounds so frustrating. It's weird, I just pull up and pick up my kid. Do they really think a kid will get in a car with a stranger? But the part of this story that baffles me the most is: does she really, truly have an actual squirrel on her hat??

Cara said...

Yeppers! I think she thinks that gives her the authority that she's dying to have!