Saturday, August 18, 2012

Tomorrow... You're ONLY a Day Away!!!

Last night I took the kids "out on the town" for an evening play performance of "Annie." I had to listen to a few grumbles and complaints, but nothing was stopping me from taking them because they need some culture (away from silly kid TV and their Itouch games)! And, because I wanted to see it too! I don't think I have ever seen it as a play, but I did see the movie a long time ago.

It was a great production considering they pull from a cast on a very small island! The kids really enjoyed it as well, but I was struck by a message from the play that I hadn't thought about.

One of the famous lines from "Annie" is:

The sun'll come out Tomorrow, 
so you gotta hang on till tomorrow. 

Come what may.

Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I love ya, Tomorrow.

You're only a day away.

I was really struck by this phrase as the play unfolded. I loved Annie's optimism in general. Despite her circumstances she was a determined little girl who chose to see the bright side of life. However, that one phrase from her song got me thinking... and I found it very reassuring. Today and its problems, disappointments, heartaches and upsets only last for a moment in time. The sun really will come out tomorrow, but at the same time, we've got to be optimistic about life and what comes our way. 

Annie desperately wanted to find her real parents, but in the end found out they had passed away many years earlier. That would be very disappointing and upsetting, but instead, she had found Daddy Warbucks and she chose to focus on the blessing of that rather than the fact that she would never meet her parents on earth. She had been through a lot in her 11 years of life, but she held on till Tomorrow and discovered a blessing in being adopted by Daddy Warbucks. It's not how she would have planned it, but... Come What May... it was a blessing to have been able to finally find out the answer about her real parents and find someone she could love like family. 

So, a good reminder to me to just hang on till tomorrow... come what may... and try and be optimistic during the process... because tomorrow is ONLY A DAY AWAY!!!!

No comments: