Thursday, August 8, 2013

Chincoteague

I am WAY behind on my blogging :) So, I will do some quick catch ups. The past few weeks have been busy but awesome!

A couple Saturdays ago I got to cross off another item on my bucket list! A trip to Chincoteague. Now, I had never heard of it until I moved to the area, but the town is perhaps best known for the Chincoteague Ponies, although these are not actually on the island of Chincoteague but on nearby Assateague Island. These ponies and the annual Pony Penning Day are the subject of  Marguerite Henry's 1947 children's book Misty of Chincoteague.

Therefore, my friend Misty was very excited to visit this island! The day we went was perfect weather! The drive was a bit long to get there with traffic, but we had lots of fun things to talk about :)

When we arrived, we immediately went to town and saw the statue of the famous horse! Pictures were a must!
 Miriam and Misty & Misty (the horse)

 Cara & Misty (& Misty)

This town LOVES their horse and namesake! 
As do many children who have read the book!
 We walked around the town and enjoyed some of the beach-town shops, etc, but getting to the beach was high on our list! Even though we were only able to lie on the sand for an hour before leaving for our boat tour, it was an hour well spent. I was definitely in my happy place!

 Our boat tour was fantastic! There were about 8 of us on it and our tour guide definitely knew his stuff! We got info about the island, the horses, their history, and anything else about the area. I really enjoyed it!
 We got great views of the island and although we didn't see any horses, we did see a bald eagle! It was awesome to see how fly and land so close to us. And yes, slightly sad to not actually see a horse, but our tour guide had lots of pictures, and stories to curb our interest.
Such a beautiful day!
Learned a lot!
Fabulous boat ride!
Fun friends!
AND... one more item crossed off my bucket list :)

1 comment:

Midwayedancer said...

Looks beautiful!! I remember going to Assateague with Girl Scouts and thinking that the horses were scary.