Monday, July 27, 2009

Happiness...

I'll admit it. I love Oprah. I think she has some quality things to say and she motivates/inspires people to be a little bit better. I never get to watch her program during the day, but I do read her magazines when they become available at the gym. Recently, there was an article on HAPPINESS.

"Don't seek happiness, because seeking is the antithesis of happiness." Big word there: "antithesis". But, basically meaning opposite.

"The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it." 

Hmmm... let me think about that. Yep, it's true! We can think positively or negatively about anything... it's all in how we view it. I try to teach this to my students all the time, yet I don't always follow through myself!

Recently, I took a course in the power of positive thinking. It's amazing how much more I "believe" the stories I create in my head rather than just facing a FACT. FACING a FACT is always empowering.

The quote I LOVED the most was this: 
"People believe themselves to be dependent on what happens for their happiness. They don't realize that what happens is the most unstable thing in the universe. It changes constantly. They look upon the present moment as either marred by something that has happened and shouldn't have or as deficient because of something that has not yet happened but should have. ... ACCEPT the present moment and FIND the Perfection that is untouched by time." 

And, finally, a very good reminder:
"The more shared past there is in a relationship, the more present you need to be; otherwise, you will be forced to relive the past again and again." 

No comments: