But, no matter how you pronounce it... it tastes yummy!
Filled with nutrients, low in fat, high in protein!
Especially in a cool summer salad.
I love when friends post new recipe finds on their blogs, so I thought I would pass along a new favorite of mine! I had it a few times this summer and LOVED every bit. Seriously - ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner some days!
I love that it's "light" on the stomach, but filling. I love that you're getting veggies and nutrition galore when you eat it. I love that you can make it with a variety of different combination depending on your mood... or really, what you have in your home. But, more than anything - I just LOVE it!
So if you want to try it too... here you go! The quinoa can be made ahead of time and refrigerated as well... another big plus! I am also going to list just "the start" of things you can include.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups cold water/broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup snow peas, corn, shell peas, celery, lima beans, black beans or green beans
- 2 small carrots, peeled and sliced thin... or zucchini, etc
- 1/2 green or red pepper, sliced thin
- 1 medium ripe tomato & avocado
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, cilantro, or basil
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, almonds, toasted sunflower seeds or toasted cashews
Dressing: Here's a recipe... but you can just also use light Italian dressing from the store as well!
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Options: Pinch of cayenne, garlic powder or fresh minced garlic, minced fresh or dried ginger
- Soak the quinoa 5 minutes in cold water
- Rinse thoroughly 2 times, pour off the water and drain through a large fine mesh strainer
- Place in 2 qt pot with the chicken/vegetable broth.. or just plain water!
- Cover the pot, bring to a full boil, turn the heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool
- Steam the carrots and green veg for 5 minutes or until tender-crisp, drain, rinse in cold water and drain again
- Chop the tomatoes, herb and cucumber
- Gently combine veggies, quinoa and dressing in a large bowl
- Cover and chill, or serve immediately
As I mentioned there are so many variations to this. I found some that combined feta, watermelon, mint and quinoa... then tossed with a honey dressing or balsamic vinegar. I also found a pesto/tomato one that looks yummy too! I'm excited to try some fall versions and maybe I'll post another recipe soon!