Monday, January 16, 2012

Profound Thoughts from Steve Job

This post is a while in the making. A while ago I ran across a speech he gave at Stamford and I found his thoughts to have a profound effect on me. He puts is out there in such a down-to-earth, straight forward manner. I love it!


Quote 1: "I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me."

There have been a few times in my life when I have experienced some true disappointments in my life. Whether it be making a sports team, being accepted in to a program, or being offered a job... to mention a few. Each time, when I am in the moment of the disappointment, I often question HF and tell him... 'This is a good thing I wanted... why didn't I get it!!!" I am frustrated... mostly because I lack faith and let doubt enter my mind that HF is aware of me and what's best for me. 

HOWEVER, looking back, in each instance I can remember this happening, something better has come along, or I have been able to see WHY that would not have been a good option for me. Just like for Steve Jobs. ... Wish I could have that insight and faith from the moment it actually happens!

Quote 2: "It was awful tasting medicine, but I guess the patient needed it. Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle."

I love this quote. Simply because this is what I have been struggling with for the past 6 months or so. I haven't found yet  what I love. OK - no that's wrong. I know WHAT my heart really wants to do, but that requires me being married. So, I've been on a search for what I could love in 2nd place. I've realized that elementary school counseling is not really my "LOVE". Yes, I can do it. Yes, I love some of the perks of being a teacher. 

BUT, my heart just isn't there to have the passion to really put for 100% every day. 

I don't regret going to get my MEd. I am glad I did what I did and where it has led me. I also feel like I learned many things I can apply to my life in general and the work I am doing now... but I also know that my current position is not my career goal. It's just a "layover" to my next destination. 

BUT, WHAT? Oh - I have so many ideas of things I think would be "fun", but am I really going to LOVE it?!! I am not getting any younger... and don't want to settle on getting more education to then get a job that I am waking up eventually saying, "Not another day!" I envy those that knew what they wanted to do from when they were in high school! That has not been the case for me. So, as Steve suggests... I am going to keep looking!!

Quote 3: "When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something."

Yep - Definitely have felt that in my life at times. I think there's something to say for making the best of the situation you're in. And, there are certain things I don't have control over... but if I do... GOSH darn it! I need to have more courage to change it and NOT get stuck in a rut that I have been at times in my life.

Quote 4: "Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life."

 This means FAITH in my book. Faith and trust. That's what I am still working on....

No comments: