Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sometimes I just have to laugh

This weekend, the parents of the kids I nanny for are out of town, so I've had them for the past 24 hours. A little bit more exhausting when I have them ALL day and they're not in school for at least part of it :) 

But, anyway. Last night as we sat down to our elegant dinner of pizza and frozen veggies heated in the microwave, the 6 year old girl looked at me and said, "Can I ask you a question." "Sure!", I responded. 

"When are you going to get married?"

Ha, ha! I've been asked this by kids before, so I just smiled and said. "I don't know. I haven't met my future husband yet, or maybe I have, and I just don't know it! Do you have anyone in mind?" 

She looked at me very seriously and said all the guys she knew were too young for me to marry, but she did have some advice. She then proceeded to do a role play with me of how I should go up and approach random guys that I thought were cute... introduce myself to them... and then ask them if they'd like to go on a date with me. Ha!!! Only if it were that simple. We did this as she gave a few different scenarios of where I might be and meet new guys at the same time... grocery store, out running on the sidewalk, in a movie theater. It was quite funny, but she actually had a few good points for being 6 years old. I'll have to think more about it.

But, THEN! This morning about ten minutes before we had to leave to go to their Jewish Sunday School, she comes down and grabs this red stamp pad from where the art supplies are. Concerned as to where this was going, she said she was drawing in her room and wanted to stamp a few things. I didn't necessarily like the idea, but agreed knowing we were leaving in a few minutes and how much could go wrong in that time?!! So, I said OK. Two minutes before we needed to be in the car I asked the kids to come down and get their shoes on. 

This little girl comes running down the stairs exclaiming that she fell over something in her room and fell right on her eye! I looked at her and tried not to laugh. She had literally taken the red ink and smeared it in a very large circle all around one of her eyes. She started to give me this long story of how she keeps falling and she doesn't know why! Like I needed to take her to the doctor or something (because she had fallen while running in the yard the day before)

What?
Does she think I can't put two and two together? 
Is this a plot to get out of going to Sunday School?!!

Slightly annoyed now because of the time, I didn't play along. I said as I grabbed her and walked her to the sink to start scrubbing her face:
"A: You're not crying
B. This red blotch on your face is in a very nice circular pattern
C. You just took the stamp pad upstairs
D. You have Red ink on your hands
E. And, voila! This is all washing off with soap and water.
Get in the car. We're now late. "

I don't even remember how she replied. I pretended to be annoyed and not happy that she made us all late, but on the inside I was cracking up and appreciated her creativity!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Oh, Cara. That little girl is hilarious. If only getting a date were that easy.