Friday, March 16, 2012

A campus & school near and dear to my heart

 I spent some time on Georgetown's campus when my dad took us on a trip to D.C. when I was probably 10 or 11. I don't remember too much of our time here because it was so long ago, but I do remember that we walked around the campus. I remember that it sat on a hill and that some of its buildings were REALLY old! (It was established in 1789... so it's been around for a few years!) I also remember that it was spring and cherry blossom season. 

My dad attended Georgetown as an undergrad, and given my strong sentimental feelings towards BYU (where I did my undergrad), I imagine it's the same for him. There's just something amazing about where you first lived on your own... away from your parents...in a new city...with the rigors of academics... and friends from all over the country/world... and everything else that comes with being in college :)

I didn't realize then the special place this university would come to have in my heart many years later. 

For the past two years I have traveled over the Key Bridge to see the tall spires of some of Georgetown's older buildings. I've admired the beauty of the campus from afar (the road!), and admired those that are smart enough to go there :) I have kind of felt that this university was greeting me to the city each day as I drove to work.

Recently, however, I have been able to spend quite a bit of time on its campus simply because my mom is in it's hospital. Since I can only take the hospital scene in short 2 hour bursts, I have taken the opportunity to enjoy the recent spring weather and walk around the campus. Again, it's spring time, and that means the trees/flowers are in bloom, the weather is sunny and warm, and I have just been in awe of some of its buildings and the beauty of the campus in general.
 
More than anything, I have a special place in my heart for all the doctors, nurses, medical students, and university employees who have done their absolute best to care for my mom. I have come to get to know some of them quite well as I have spent hours here and words can't express my gratitude for their quality of care, as well as their compassion. No matter what happens with my mom, I will forever hold this university in my heart and have gratitude for its beauty, history, and academics (especially in medicine!).
My heart still cheers for the Cougars, but I think it's found room for Jack, the Bulldog (the current Jack is actually alive!), and the Hoyas as well!

No comments: