Sunday, April 1, 2012

Glass... and Trust :)

A friend introduced me to this song and its lyrics have been on my mind recently. The song is called "Glass" by Thompson Square. Here is the link on youtube

Trying to live and love,
With a heart that can't be broken,
Is like trying to see the light with eyes that can't be opened.
Yeah, we both carry baggage,
We picked up on our way, so if you love me do it gently,
And I will do the same.

We may shine, we may shatter,
We may be picking up the pieces here on after,
We are fragile, we are human,
We are shaped by the light we let through us,
We break fast, cause we are glass.
Cause we are glass.

I'll let you look inside me, through the stains and through the cracks
And in the darkness of this moment,
You see the good in that.
But try not to judge me, cause we've walked down different paths,
But it brought us here together, so I won't take that back.

We may shine, we may shatter,
We may be picking up the pieces here on after,
We are fragile, we are human,
We are shaped by the light we let through us,
We break fast, cause we are glass.

We might be  oil and water, this could be a big mistake,
We might burn like gasoline and fire,
It's a chance we'll have to take.

We may shine, we may shatter,
We may be picking up the pieces here on after,
We are fragile, we are human,
And we are shaped by the light we let through us,
We break fast, cause we are glass.
We are glass.

I have so many thoughts on this I am not sure where to even start. Obviously, I am still in this dating world, so I haven't mastered this subject yet... but I think the top thing that has been on my mind recently is "Trust". 

Trusting someone else with your heart. Trusting them with the knowledge of the past choices and experiences you've had to shape who you are. No one is perfect and we've all made mistakes or have suffered the consequences of the mistakes of others.

We are like glass and we are all very fragile, but if we don't take that risk and trust someone else enough with our glass, than we will never really have the opportunity to shine or shatter when it comes to relationships. It's like not knowing true joy if you've never experienced pain and heartache.

I think in this dating world, trust is hard to come by. We all try and put on our "best" on the outside and try and hide the fact that we really are made of fragile glass and in need of someone else to help us really shine!  People might even judge us by thinking that we seem to have it all together, but really, we're just holding the pieces of our lives barely together. ... but knowing that two pieces of glass molded together is much stronger than one when it comes to the storms of life! 


Or, they might look at our very different pasts and think there's no hope for a future together, but really,  the paths that you have both taken have brought you here together at that moment, so why not give it a try?

 I faced these two relationship issues recently and it's frustrating. I am learning patience, yet again. I am also focusing more on praying to try and understand the other person. As stated above, I know where I came from and what has shaped me, but I don't REALLY know the other person's life path despite conversations we've had. I truly believe the Lord can help us with this though. He can help us understand and have compassion.


We are fragile and we are human, but there is beauty in that! ... If only we can just endure the trial, heartache and broken glass that come at times along the way.

 

1 comment:

Laura said...

I resonate with this post a lot. It is hard to let yourself be seen by another person, especially because in many cases you don't really know if you can trust somebody until you trust them with something sacred, like a piece of your soul.