Sunday, January 6, 2013

Lessons Learned/Reminded of at church :)

Even though church this morning began earlier than I have EVER gone to church in my 32 years of life :) It was still an amazing and spiritually rewarding experience.

Although there is usually no specific theme for our three-hour block of meetings, I felt there was definitely a focus on family - more specifically eternal families.

I go to a Mid-singles ward. That means there are about 300 of us, who are single because we've either never been married, are divorced, or widowed.... and most just have never been married. But, I would place a bet on the fact that the majority of us are there because we want to get married and are just a little frustrated that it has not happened yet.

So, the topic of family - and eternal families - could be a little bit touchy/problematic.

But yet, it wasn't.

In sacrament meeting, testimonies were shared about the importance of families and lessons learned from family relationships. In Sunday School, the topic of relationships was continued... whether it be family, friend or co-worker relationships. We are not here to be/live/work alone. We need each other. 

Then, in RS, we discussed "The Family, A Proclamation to the World" issued by the Prophet of the Church, the First Presidency and the Quorum of the 12 Apostles in 1995. I still remember when it was first read in church and how profound I thought it was. There was no scooting around the issue. They laid it right out there - our beliefs on the role of men and women, God's plan and purpose for families and the role it plays in mortality as well as in the eternities. 

The entire thing can be found here.

I love how it states in one of the opening paragraphs is that the plan Heavenly Father has laid out is a PLAN OF HAPPINESS. Happiness being the key word. Many things will try and take away that happiness, or test our faith, but in the end, it is a plan meant for our eternal happiness. 

I was asked to share my thoughts/bare my testimony on this paragraph and I was honored to do so.... but it was hard to get through! 

"The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally."

Of course my thoughts immediately turned to my mom who passed away in March. I miss her terribly, but I choose to have faith and hope in HF's plan. I have a strong testimony of the sacred ordinances and covenants made in the temple and I know that my mom did as well. I know that if we choose to live according to the laws the Lord has explained to us and the promises we have made, we can return to live with our loved ones again... and be united eternally. I know that's where my mom is right now and I am going to do my best to get back and join her. 

What a glorious reunion that will be!!! 

No comments: