Tuesday, April 2, 2013

My new motto... or personal belief statement... of sorts

This past Sunday was Easter Sunday. We had a wonderful church service filled with speakers and good music.

One of the songs sung I have heard many, many times, but this time one phrase stuck out in my mind more than anything else and it's going to become my new motto

I BELIEVE IN CHRIST, 
SO COME WHAT MAY

That about sums it up. Really, I can't see the end from the beginning. I don't know what is going to happen tomorrow, let alone what might happen a few minutes from now. I can try and plan. I can try my best to be prepared. But, really, that's all I can do. I can stand and not shrink.

That's also been the theme of a recent CES fireside given by Elder Bendar in March 2013. He spoke of Elder Maxwell's illness and how Elder Maxwell was determined to "not shrink" despite the huge trails he faced with his cancer treatments.

Easier said than done. I feel like this past year has been a trial of my faith and of my ability to "Not Shrink". I would never have predicted some of the events of this past year, but I felt like I have fought hard to keep, maintain and sustain my faith and to NOT SHRINK. At times, it has definitely been close to doing so, and I know the road ahead isn't clear... or all peaches and cream.

But, I am going to do my best to remind myself of my new motto.

I BELIEVE IN CHRIST,
SO COME WHAT MAY

Easter is a good time to remember and reflect upon the Lord and his atonement. He suffered, bled and died for me that I might be able to return to live with my Heavenly Father once again... and to be reunited with my family members if I live righteously. Christ felt the pains I have felt and will feel. He knows my heartaches and the deepest desires of my heart. But, my Heavenly Father knows what is best for me and even though I experience trials and heartache, I know they are making me a stronger, more faithful person. 

And, in the end, it all goes back to the ATONEMENT. Christ suffered, bled and died for me. For me and for everyone else. But, we need to apply that atonement in our lives. We need to understand what it means for us and how we can find peace and comfort in it. Christ paid the price. He did the work I can not do for myself. In the end that's really all that matters. I am going to try and do my best. Try and be prepared for what lies ahead, but in the end if I've done my best I feel like it's going to be OK for me to throw my hands in the air and just say "I BELIEVE IN CHRIST, SO COME WHAT MAY" and I know he'll be there to strengthen me, support me, encourage me and sustain me when nothing else seems to be working. 

Through Christ... I know I can make it to once again see my mom and any other family member who has passed on to the other side of the veil. 

I BELIEVE IN CHRIST, 
SO COME WHAT MAY

No comments: