Sunday, March 29, 2009

The word: COME

I was reading an article by Joseph A. Cannon and he pointed out that the word "come" starts more hymns in the LDS hymnbook than any other word. It also appears in the scriptures more than 3,000 times. Wow. That in itself was significant to me. But, what does the word mean or why is it used so often?

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, come is "an elementary verb of motion, expressing movement towards so as to reach the speaker... In its most literal sense it expresses the (forward) motion of a voluntary agent."

The importance of this word is significant because it confirms how we, as individuals are to ACT and not wait for something to COME to us! Sometimes I feel like I'm just going to wait and see what life brings :) Isn't that much easier?! But, that's not what the Lord would have me do. I need to be actively pursuing goals and plans for my future. My happiness depends on me and my COMING unto the Lord to know what he would have me do.

At times the thought of moving forward by faith is daunting for me. I want to KNOW everything!! But the author pointed out that Savior commanded us to "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28). Ahhh... rest. I love that feeling and I don't let myself experience enough of it! The Savior also teaches us that: "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock; if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will COME in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me" (Revelation 3:20). I WANT THAT but it means I need to COME unto him... forward motion of a voluntary agent. He's there and he NEVER left and he's not going to force me to COME.... that's the VOLUNTARY part.

I love this quote by Elder Neal A. Maxwell. "The submission of one's will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God's altar. The many other things we give to God, however nice that may be of us, are actually things he has already given us. But when we submit ourselves by letting our wills be swallowed up in God's will then we are really giving something to him. It is the only possession we have that we can give." (Ensign, August 2000).

I read this article as I was thinking about General Conference this weekend and how excited I am to hear from our church leaders. I am also hoping that I can feel some sense of advice and direction for my life right now... like they're speaking right to me :) However, this article was a powerful reminder to me that life won't just happen to me. I need to move forward... and most importantly multiply by hundreds my current effort to COME UNTO HIM.

No comments: