Friday, November 8, 2013

Kayaking on the Potomac

I have this "bucket list" of things I want to do before I move from the area. While I don't have any plans to do so in the near future, one never really knows :) One of the items was to kayak on the Potomac River. A little searching on the Internet led me to a site that said I could go on a sunset kayaking tour of the monuments! Awesome!

I contacted a nanny friend of mine at the end of August and she was excited to come with me! She'd used these facilities before to go paddle boarding with her husband, but had never been kayaking. It turned out to be THE PERFECT evening and such a fun event!

As you can see they have quite a few kayaks. 
I've been before, but it had been many years.

Our group was prob about 30 people and 2 instructors. It took us a bit to get organized, but I was one of the first ones in a kayak so that gave me extra picture taking time!

I was so excited to kayak under a bridge I drove over AT LEAST 2 times every day for the past four years! I've yet to walk over it though! 
My kayaking companion... Jen

I love the colors of the sunset!
As we all kayaked along we chatted with some of our group members, but mostly just between us. Every now and then our guides would stop us and share some history of DC, the river, or the monuments. It was actually very informative and interesting!

Such a beautiful sunset. 
It was so peaceful and calm out on the river.
I just wanted the moment to last forever!
I tried to get artistic with this picture... 
by adding the end of my paddle in it :)
It was amazing how quickly the sun set!
The Coast Guard even came up to us to tell us to hurry up. You're not allowed to be on the river without a light if you're out after dark, so we paddled back quickly! It was such a wonderful evenings.

And one more check on my bucket list!

No comments: